As I embark on a yoga teacher training foundation with the British Wheel of Yoga I think of how best to record my experiences, reflections and journey, and what better way (in the 21st century) than by blogging!? But as a dance artist who has blogged about my dance practice previously I contemplate the manner in which I will approach a blog, and documentation of my yoga practice. Well like most aspects of life there is an art to much of what we do whether aesthetic or functional... and since there is a deep rooted connection (held in the body) between my dance and yoga practice then why not explore and approach my study of yoga as an art study? The following blog aims to explore and document the Art of Yoga...


Sunday 12 February 2012

Meaning of Yoga

Homework task is to find, research as many meanings of the word yoga...

'The word yoga means 'unity' or 'oneness' and is derived from the Sanskrit word yuj, which means 'to join.' This unity or joining is described in spiritual terms as the union of the individual consciousness with the universal consciousness. On a more practical level, yoga is a means of balancing and harmonising the body, mind and emotions.' 
(Swami Satyananda Saraswati)

'to come together,' 'to unite,' 'to tie the strands of the mind together,' 'to attain what was previously unattainable.'
(T. K. V. Desikachar)

'Yoga is a classical Indian science dealing dealing with the search for the soul. The word 'yoga' signifies both the way to discovery of the soul and union with it.
(Silva, Mira and Shyam Mehta)

'Yoga means yoke, union, or discipline... 
...to strengthen the body, to bring flexibility not only to the spine, but to the mind, and to calm the nervous system and quiet the mind enough to connect the practitioner more deeply to his or her spiritual centre.'
(Linda Sparrowe)

'Yoga is a philosophy, a science and an art.'
(Silva, Mira and Shyam Mehta)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lucinda,
    if I am not mistaken almost 2 years ago I was your yoga student at DW Sports Cardiff (our partner's share the same name, in your case husband:)), when I left for Ireland and Sweden, you gave me your e-mail which I lost on the way while moving, but I stumbled upon this blog. Would be nice to get back in touch as so much has changed, please send me a message: https://www.facebook.com/baibis

    ReplyDelete