As I embark on a yoga teacher training foundation with the British Wheel of Yoga I think of how best to record my experiences, reflections and journey, and what better way (in the 21st century) than by blogging!? But as a dance artist who has blogged about my dance practice previously I contemplate the manner in which I will approach a blog, and documentation of my yoga practice. Well like most aspects of life there is an art to much of what we do whether aesthetic or functional... and since there is a deep rooted connection (held in the body) between my dance and yoga practice then why not explore and approach my study of yoga as an art study? The following blog aims to explore and document the Art of Yoga...


Sunday 29 January 2012

Introduction Day and The History of Yoga

Induction day began with a rather dynamic morning warm-up, lots of chaturanga, holding blank for 5 breaths and updogs (urdhva mukha svanasana), Danielle always manages to keep it light hearted and fun though! I was reminded, physical and mentally of the experience and concept of the muggy water settling that I had felt on my Spanish yoga retreat with Danielle last summer. After all the flowing movement we come to Pranamasana (standing prayer pose), finding complete stillness and watching, allowing the muggy waters to settle - in this moment of stillness I feel, visualise blood rushing and flowing around the inner body created by the dynamic, flowing movement, stillness gives me the opportunity to tune into the blood flow watching it slowly still, just like muggy water settling in a glass.

We then looked at the history of yoga and it is here that a real connection resides in me between yoga and art. Like all historical and cultural happenings there is a rich artistic accompaniment for the period such as, Greek and Roman Art associated with mythological figures, the Pharaohs and Egyptian art and architecture, Renaissance Art and Elizabethan Theatre. The history of yoga, dating back 5000 years (approx.) also leaves art and artefacts handed down and possibly used as a way of understanding this ancient tradition. The first yogic art appears to be the scriptures, postures and figures of gurus carved into stone...

A steatite seal of a yogi seated in meditation, from the Mohenjo-Daro region of
ancient India, ca. 1500 B.C.E.
(Linda Sparrowe: 2008,  p11)
Relief Sculpture from Hindu temple in
Sumatra depicts yogis performing asanas.
(Linda Sparrowe: 2008, p12-13)




No comments:

Post a Comment